Area Historical Sites
Spink County Veteran's Memorial Spink County Museum Granite Hall Fisher Grove Home
Spink County Veteran's Memorial
Located in the Northwest Corner of the Courthouse Lawn, Redfield
The caption reads "All Gave Some, Some Gave All"
Spink County Museum
Located at 3rd Street E. & 8th Avenue E. south of the Spink County Courthouse
Open daily from 1:00 - 5:00 from June 1st to September 1st or by appointment.
A member of the Spink County Historical Society will greet you and share the "stories" of the people whose picture and belongings are on display. Displays include the Peter Norbeck family, musical, farm, armed service uniforms and pictures of Redfield's last Civil War Veteran's reunion, and the famous Hindersman collection of 260 mounted or stuffed birds and 760 plus mounted butterflies and moths from all parts of the world.
Located on the North Side of Redfield at the SDDC Campus
Granite Cottage is so named because it was built of Sioux Falls Granite. It was initially the entire facility of the Northern Hospital for the Insane. Construction costs totaled $63,245 and utilization began February 1, 1902.
The building had a capacity of 48 residents and also housed office space, plumbing and heating plant, root cellar, laundry, engine room and employee's living quarters.
From 1904 to 1918 Granite Cottage was known as the first Admistration Building of the Redfield State Hospital and School. A new resident living building had been completed in 1904. Granite Hall received its present name in 1920 when the administrative offices were moved to the present administrative building.
Granite Hall 1902 Picture Book
Administration Building - State School
Administration Bldg looking West to 5 (Ridgeway) Bldg. & 3 (Prairie View) Bldg
Fisher Grove State Park
Located 8 miles east of Redfield on Hwy. 212
Fisher Grove is named in honor of Frank I. Fisher, the first permanent settler in Spink County.
Fisher made a concentrated effort to establish a settlement at the crossroads known as Belcher's Ford, the Indian's traditional river crossing on the James River. It became the first crossing for the Watertown to Pierre stage line. Belcher's Ford became a focal point for travelers.
Fisher's attempt failed when the railroad bypassed the area. The mail office was then moved to Frankfort, two miles east. The hotel was abandoned and salvaged for wood. The site of the hotel can be reached by a park hiking trail. The area became a state park in 1968.
Our History Redfield 1902 Pheasant History Home
- Historical Sites -
CNW Depot Redfield College Carnegie Library Legler Park Artesian Building
Spink County Veteran's Memorial Spink County Museum Granite Hall Fisher Grove
Belcher's Ford 1st School Abigail Gardner Eastern Star